Saturday, April 13, 2013

Why Not?

Why not indeed.


(Click for larger view)

...
...
...

Oh, all right, I'll say some more.  The coyness is largely due to my lack of information on this piece and its composer, or more accurately inaccurate information.  I found this piece nestled in the back of a piano collection put out by the Cleveland Composers Guild in the 1970s (original compositions of intermediate difficulty for students).  I'd stumbled across the thing at the Boston University main library after finding some good stuff in a song collection put out by the same group.  My main confusion comes when I tried to find out who wrote the piece, as my internety searches came up with two possibilities (aside from the English composer named John White).  One of them (b. 1931) did play cello for the Cleveland Symphony (for a while) and is listed as a composer in multiple places (and is a member of the Society of Composers, inc.).  The other may not be a composer, but is at least apparently connected with the CCG, playing harpsichord on one of their LPs from olden tymes.  It appears to be the first one who wrote Why Not?, but then again the second one could have divined it in between recording sessions.  Either way, it's nice, a jazz-esque interlude, perhaps for a turn of events in a sequel to On the Waterfront.   It's the last piece in the collection, perhaps a more adult twilight the close a child-oriented set.  Somebody should whip up a recording eventually.  I mean, why not?

~PNK

No comments:

Post a Comment