Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Julia Perry Seethes a Jazzy Seethe


You think that music academia wouldn't leave any modernist stone unturned, especially if the composer in question is one as interesting as Julia Perry (1924-1979), who wrote a heck of a lot of music in her unfortunately short life (including seven symphonies and an opera).  She's among a small number of African-American female composers, the club also consisting of the likes of Florence Price and Dorothy Rudd Moore.  She was talented and lucky enough to study with Luigi Dallapiccola and Nadia Boulanger, and got a number of works published during her lifetime, though not many recordings.  One piece of hers I've taken quite a liking to is this short Prelude for piano, nestled in the pages of Black women composers : a century of piano music (1893-1990).

(Click for larger view)

A welcome addition to the pseudo-repertoire of American piano works that straddle the line between impressionism and jazz, the Prelude is a dark and seething reflection of the deep internal.  Those stacked chords are awfully satisfying to play, and in my performance below (which I think counts as the premiere recording [!]) you can see me dig into the keys, fully appropriate to the music.  It's midnight music, best played in low light and perhaps with a scotch at hand, and I'm a little peeved it hasn't entered the piano rep (yet).  I'm really glad I was introduced to Perry this way, as other works I've seen of hers seem to be somewhat harder to pin down emotionally, but far be it from me to prevent a note adventure.  Check her stuff out, and I hope my crack at the Prelude isn't too grating.


~PNK

3 comments:

  1. Nice job! Her work in general is quite austere. There are some mistakes in the edition you played due to a hard to read manuscript and some editorial license by Helen. Shoot me an email and I'll try to send you a copy of my copy of Perry's original revision (the edits you have are Helen Walker-Hill's--she also recorded it). Her Hymn to Pan for organ and choir is also tall and dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your version, but I have no idea how to contact you (there may be a way through Blogger but I didn't see anything). Can you post your address here? Thanx!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete